09 June 2009

DVR vs. the Parentals


To my annoyance, my parents decided (yet again) to change to another satellite provider. In the last 10 years, my parents have moved from DISH network to Comcast to Direct TV and now back to DISH Network. There could be more but I have probably repressed it.

With this last upgrade, we acquired DVR capabilities on two TVs. While I am perfectly fine to just get a VHS tape (those are rectangular objects with tape inside that records TV or movies), I was excited to join the world of digital recording (much to the joy of my friend, Jen-knee).

Most of my shows are on summer hiatus, but I loaded in some of my favorites to test. After the initial set up I awaited the joy of not having to rewind or fast-forward on one of my 3 remaining Walmart tapes (I started with a brick of 10) to watch something I would have missed otherwise. The first week was fun as my parents didn't really watch TV but then today the unmentionable happened - something was DELETED!! My parents came into the equation and I discovered the ridiculousness of the DISH Network hookup.

You see I missed a little known fact... a stupid fact. There are four TVs with satellite (bedroom, kitchen, living room, and computer room) and two of them have DVR... BUT only one of these DVR TVs includes a box (living room). The other (computer room) is completely reliant on the other's box. This moronic set up makes it so that the two TVs can watch two different shows EXCEPT when the DVR is recording.

So when the technologically impaired 'rents decided to watch TV in the computer room (and I'm trying to record, let's say... Gilmore Girls) the parentals push buttons until they can watch TV (this also cancels the recording).

My parent's solution: "Just let us know when you are recording."

But I ask the obvious question... Isn't that what DVR is all about? Not having to have Mom act as my DVR and remember when I'm recording. Also, I was looking forward to just setting my shows to record and not having to know when the season premiere is scheduled or when re-runs end and a new episode is on. OR recording anything that includes 30 Seconds to Mars or when Jared Leto decides to make an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel.

So far, my love of the DVR has not grown. In fact, it has caused a some minor irritation but hopefully with time I will train the parents on proper DVR etiquette, learn where the hell my FUSE channel is in the new 9999 channels, and eventually give up the almost thread-bear VHS tapes that still rest next to my trusty Mitsubishi VCR.

5 comments:

Tooele Brezoff said...

You can point out that little orange light on the front that says attention something is recording! Good luck! and I do love my DVR unless it breaks and looses all my season enders!!

Tarika said...

I am sorry that you didn't get your recording of Gilmore Girls. I too would have been a little upset. I currently do not have DVR, but I have this fun thing called OnDemand...let's just say I have been able to catch up completely on my new obsession, NCIS.

BrittneyandDoug said...

I love DVR, but I hear that DISH's DVR is a little irritating because of that. Plus, hello GG is my all time favortie show!! I still get a little teary when I think that it is no longer on *sniff*

Jen-Knee said...

I'm so happy that you have joined the digital age of TV watching, your life will never be the same. And to solve the issue of deleting and changing recordings I have the answer.... TiVo!

The Oldroyd's said...

I love DVR but my hubby is the same we have changed 3 times. Just when I get use to the set up we change. Oh the frustrations. But I still love to be able to record things and series and not remember when things are on.