07 August 2009

RIP John Hughes


While I do not know him personally, John Hughes had an impact on my life. I have fond memories of staying up late in my parent's living room in front of the glow of the TV to watch a Hughes film like "The Breakfast Club" or "Sixteen Candles".

Hughes movies spoke to a generation of teens, pre-teens and others who understood what it was like to be an outcast like the geek, Farmer Ted. Some might not understand why his death is a great loss to the film world. But those with memories of watching Jake Ryan, Blaine, or various Molly Ringwald characters painfully walking through high school or trying to find their way after college understand why John Hughes was a great storyteller.

My question to you is what are some of your favorite Hughes films or quotes?

3 comments:

BrittneyandDoug said...

What a great tribute!! I have very similar memories to yours. It breaks my heart when younger people say they have never watched: Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club or my personal favorite Pretty in Pink! You just have to love Ducky!!

Alienfloyd said...

IMDB has bailed me out here, I didn't realized how many movies he wrote. So Vacation on his Written work and Breakfast Club on the Directorial list.

Cheers

Jen-Knee said...

"Great, so what's this? What's his problem?", "If you dry that one out you could fertilize the lawn."

-Jeannie aka Shawna, is such a bad A.