09 October 2008

Top 5 Scary Flicks

Halloween is my favorite holiday. You can dress up and be anyone you want. There's free candy. Scary movies are played on TV all the time. Legends and myths are told in graveyards. Haunted Houses open their doors. It's a great time. Did I mention that there are scary movies on all the time?

For those who like scary movies, and even you crazies who don't... here are my top 5 (at least right now).


1) The Ring

How creepy is a girl with long stringy black hair who kills you 7 days after watching a VHS tape. I don't what is more eerie, the girl or the fact that it is a VHS tape. My first encounter with this movie (at age 22) had me sleeping upstairs at my parents house WITH the light on. And I don't usually get scared by movies.


2) Saw

Usually gory flicks are not my favorite but this one is good! The lack of budget did not hinder this really engaging film that proves that the idea of something is often more frightening than actually seeing it. Cary Elwes (Westley in "The Princess Bride") is amazing in this flick as a doctor locked in a room with a dilemma. Saw his own leg off by 6 PM to save his family or stay there and die. This film, while kinda gruesome, is deemed one of the best due to the ingenious ending. Go low budget horror.


3) Candyman

This movie is just great. Legend and film come together. This film launched the uber-creepy Tony Todd's horror career with his portrayal of Candyman, an Urban Legend much like that of Bloody Mary. If you say his name 5 times in front of a mirror he'll come out and kill you. However, this movie was not a good choice for me at the age of 15. I decided (like a dumb teen) to watch it at 11 PM when my parents were not home.






4) Sleeping with the Enemy

While this isn't a horror film it's really a truly scary film. As a woman, the idea that you could fall in love, get married and then ten days or ten years later your husband could change and become this violently abusive man is just horrifying. I love this film because they have an awesome use of "Brown Eyed Girl" and I am a brown eyed girl so I love that song. Julia Roberts is great as the terrified - and yet determined to be strong - battered wife. Patrick... I don't remember his name... is just plain creepy. In the UK he's always portrayed the "good guy" but here in the US he's always the "Bad guy". As the abuse husband searching for a wife whom he believes is his property, the guy never blinks. NEVER. Just you watch. That is what makes him so intense and creepy.


5) Pulse

I know. Another Japanese horror flick remade by us Americans. But what can I say Japanese filmmakers have a knack for creeping me out. This film takes place at a college campus as a group of students accidently release the dead on an electronic frequency. Okay, I'm not doing it justice but it has Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars, Sarah Marshall) and Wes Bentley along with some really eerie ghosts.

4 comments:

Tooele Brezoff said...

I loved the Candy Man, it did not scare me but freaked the crap out of my sister, every now and then I would walk by her and whisper Candy man hehe she would yell at me. oh good times. I was a nanny in Chicago and we drove through that part of town more scary in real life thanks! It could have been the fact that we were 3 white girls in a volvo. Not the best place to be lost. The ring was freaky the jerky crawling gets me ewww.

Tarika said...

I resent what you said about the Japanese creeping you out...But I will forgive you. I have a love/hate relationship with scary movies. I love to watch them until I am watching them and then I hate them. Just recently The Strangers did this to me...I had nightmares of weird people in masks popping up in the apt for a week. Did I mention that I had Seany check multiple times to make sure no one was in the closests too...yeah I am 10 again.

BrittneyandDoug said...

I love scary movies! There is a new one out that we need to see when you come back, Quarantine. Saw is one of my favorite scary movie, just for all of the twists and turns it makes you go through. I agree that Sleeping with the Enemy was very creepy and disturbing! Great topic!

The Oldroyd's said...

Hi Stacey, I found your blogs from various Nelson blogs. Hope you are good. Do you still work at Nelson? Well if you do tell everyone hello for me. I love scary movies too. But Saw creeped me out. I turned it off after only like 20 minutes or something.