01 January 2011

Run Fat Girl Fun - after tweaking my back

With a fun back injury from shoveling a couple of feet of snow (ya, I'm that cool), I wasn't able to jump into the 2011 Mission on January 3rd like I had planned.

Last year (as in New Year's Eve) started with a painful bang and a blackout and a half.

The first order of New Year's Eve was to get dressed. Since I wasn't showering before I shoveled snow I thought I get in some grubby clothes which included my Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. shirt, jeans with holes, socks from the day before, and my RSL hat to hide my unkept hair - a seriously awesome fashion statement.

As I lifted the fifth shovel-full of snow off the walkway from the driveway to the front porch, I was immediately halted by a sharp pain in my back. The sting - felt like a hot poker was being shoved through my back - on the left side just above my hip immobilizing me. I slowly stood straight, squeezed my eyes shut. The pain was deafening... literally, it was like my hearing was being controlled by a bratty child with an iPod's volume knob. I fought the urge to pass out and hobbled to the back door using the shovel as a crutch. When I reached the door, my parents wondered what was wrong. I told them and immediately became nauseated. Great! Just what I needed.

My mother helped me lie down on the couch. She laughed 'with me' as I commented that I felt like I was an 80-year-old woman. New Year's Eve was then spent on the couch with a Mt. Dew and a few of my favorite French films, Amelie, Mic Macs, and The Brotherhood of the Wolf. The New Year rang in just as Amelie finally found her Nino and they, of course, fell madly, crazily in love.

New Year's Day started with an inventive rolling maneuver to get out of bed with my awe-inspiring back spasm. I had stiffened up but, at least, standing and walk/hobbling wasn't too difficult. The morning was going okay as I returned to camping out on the couch. After about an hour of TV and some breakfast, the transformer blew (and not the cool ones that Shia fights in the movies) in my neighbors yard with a loud boom. The next several hours the house began to get chilly but I was fortunate enough to still have to read my book club book, "The Lost Hero."

But a week and a half-ish after my lame back incident, I started to work on Target #1. I think I should've entitled it Run, Fat Girl, Run! I walked about a mile and half at 3.7 mph. I worked up a sweat and decided I would need to step up my game along with revamping my workout playlist for running. I need more from the Run Lola Run soundtrack... cuz it's motivating.

No comments: