15 December 2008

MINI vs. the box


On my way to my last day of class I encountered what seemed like an small, insignificant box. This box was made of cardboard and looked like it had once encased a clock. It was about 2 ft x 2 ft x 2 in. As I drove up 400 South in downtown SLC, the box flew into my lane and I couldn't swerve unless I wanted to hit the TRAX train or another car so I chose to drive over it. At this point the box became wedged under my car due to the MINI's limited space between the road and the undercarriage. Driving faster, slower, changing lanes all in the effort to free this stupid box did not work, it was holding on for dear life. When I reached the next light I idled near a TRAX stop and prayed that those waiting for the mass transit train would not see or hear the box trapped under my car.

After several lights I pulled into a neighborhood and parked. With my car running I tried to pull the box out without any luck. I grabbed my long snow scraper and began to poke the box, push the box and even curse at the box. The stupid thing WOULD NOT MOVE!! As I worked to pry the box apart while still under my car, I hoped that no one would see. Unfortunately the #$%@ thing still wouldn't budge even after pulling apart the glued corners and sides.

I gave up not wanted to be late to my final and got back into the car. I pulled out of the angled parking and turned the wheels to spin around and go toward the U when the - now mangled box - loosened it's death grip. I whipped around and as I went back toward the busy 400 S. I noticed a guy sitting on the hood of his car facing mine. It seemed like he had been there the entire time watching me attempt to get the box loose. UGGH!

From the last MINI versus incident I've got a small shovel for when I get stuck in the snow, now I think I need a box cutter for the tiny possibility that I run over another 2 inch tall box.

4 comments:

Tooele Brezoff said...

Oh I am so sorry but too funny with the Big Helper guy watching you, I would have rolled down my window and Yelled "Thanks" and waved super friendly like at him.

Tarika said...

This is hilarious! I can just imagine you yelling at this stupid box...I hope that you weren't late for your final! Are you almost done now?

Jen-Knee said...

hahahaha, poor MiniBot.

BrittneyandDoug said...

Hahaha very funny! Your mini has many wonderful memorable stories!