28 May 2008

Cellphone Etiquette

Originally Posted on MySpace on Sunday, April 27, 2008

I understand that not everyone thinks the same about political issues or that everyone will automatically agree on the best sports team. I have, however, become increasingly more irritable when I encounter individuals that continually interrupt my day with their inconsiderate cell phone usage.

While I go to school and write for The Globe, I also work for a company that has areas which closely resemble that of the "Office Space" or "The Office" with endless rows of cubicles. With this in mind I recently had a discussion at work about the proper business use of cell phones and how a few of my co-workers didn't understand "that whole text messaging thing." I don't mind text messaging I actually find it to be a convenient tool for contacting friends while in school. It's fast and can allow for an exchange of information or a conversation when one has a moment to check messages. So my dislike is not of the cell phone it's of the inconsiderate use by the cell phone owner.

The best feature about a cell phone is that anyone can be reached anywhere and this has become both a blessing and a curse. While I'm out with a friend it can become tiresome when they are continually texting someone on their phone. To the other person, namely me, this seems like the person would rather be somewhere else.

The movie theater experience has become a constant battle between the cell phone obsessed and the movie fanatics. Trouble in the theater started with the cell phone ringing. Most of the time it's someone who just forgot to turn off their phone and they feel completely embarrassed as they rummage in the dark to silence their ringtone. Unfortunately, theater goers frequently happen upon the person who doesn't care if their phone rings. These annoying souls believe that the movie theater is just like their home theater where it's okay to answer your cell phone as it blares out the latest Timberland tune and then precede to loudly discuss where they are and what they will be doing after the movie.

Now text messaging while is theater is the new fad. Movies are my form of therapy but when my eyes are continually drawn away from Gerard Butlers hot abs as he slaughters the Persians due to the extremely bright cell phone screen from the front row I get a little ill-tempered. My usual timid self turns into a psycho as I tell people to stop texting. It's like Jekyll and Hyde. If you insist on texting through a movie then sit in the back row. It's only obvious that stadium seating will allow everyone in the theater to track your texting habits and if I've paid $8 for a ticket, I want to enjoy a movie without interruptions.

My last rant about cell phone usage is, well, gross. On several occasions I have entered a restroom and found that someone is on their cell phone. I just wonder if people really think about the fact that cell phones have really good microphones. Their entire job is to pick up sound and send it to the person on the other end of the line – or in the case of the cell phone's a frequency.
With this in mind I just don't understand a person's need to pee or whatever else while talking on the phone because THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE CAN HEAR YOU. We can pass also along a variety of bacteria and viruses with out taking our cell phones into the restroom stalls. So please keep away from the toilet when on the phone.

With the many ways people use their phones without consideration for others it is accurate to say that etiquette was lost when cell phones entered the restroom stalls. My dream is to one day see theaters that block out electronic signals and people ending their conversations before entering the toilet.

No comments: