28 May 2008

The MINI vs. a foot of snow

Originally Posed on MySpace (Thursday, December 20, 2007)

Living in Utah it's inevitable that you will encounter snow during the winter months. Occasionally you can even find snow falling from the clouds clear into what normal cities consider Spring (like April). About two years ago I finished my AS degree and decided to buy a new car. I had some money saved up and wanted to buy my dream car... a MINI cooper (see "The Italian Job"). I love my car. It's fast and small and very fun to drive.

Last winter I timidly drove around in the snow wondering how well the car would handle. To my excitement my small car handles well in the wet and snowy weather. It doesn't slip or go too crazy so I felt very comfortable as the winter season approached.

The first big snow was, fortunately, on a Saturday so I didn't have to battle other cars trying to force their way down the road to work. My only task that day was to meet a friend to buy our Linkin Park concert tickets as they went on sale that Saturday morning at 10AM. I thought... my MINI was good in the snow and as long as I just got out of the driveway I'd be fine. So I got ready, jumped in the car (parked in the garage) and started the car. I looked back to check for neighbors shoveling the foot or so of snow on the sidewalks and saw no one outside. I put the car in reverse and rammed on the accelerator. As I flew back I sailed into the middle of the street and stopped. I made some tracks and pulled back in for my second try at getting out of my neighborhood. I paused and then, again, romped on the accelerator and reversed through my previous tracks this time turning when I made it to the street.

Unfortunately I became stuck. I'm not talking a little stuck, I'm talkin' a lot stuck. I had to stop the car, go back into the garage and find a shovel to dig myself out stuck.

After I dug all the snow out from under my small car's frame, my neighbor pushed my car as I drove the MINI back into the garage. Defeated in my attempt to leave the house in a car that resembles a go-kart, I began to shovel my driveway and call my friend to tell her she'd have to get the tickets with out me as the MINI-bot (yes, this is a Transformers reference) couldn't make it out of the neighborhood due to the foot of snow on the ground.

No comments: