04 September 2008

NIN Rocked the E-Center

I witnessed one of the best performances last night. Nine Inch Nails performed at the E-Center in front of an excited crowd. Unfortunately, the E-Center switched to Ticketmaster and they didn't sale out the show... (Note: I really despise Ticketmaster because they overcharge and don't include parking. You could say I'm a fan of SmithsTix.)

Anyway, NIN came out and energized the crowd with songs like Terrible Lie and Closer. They took it down a notch and played some soothing instrumentals... okay, soothing for NIN. They played instrumentals (I think from their new album) and worked their way into "Piggy" from The Downward Spiral. They reignited the crowd with songs from With Teeth like "The Hand that Feeds" and "Only" then finished with "Head Like a Hole." NIN returned to the stage for an encore and this was the first time I heard Trent Reznor speak to the crowd. He thanked everyone for showing up and talked about their career going up and down but that they "weren't Kayne or Coldplay but they are cuter than Coldplay."

For almost two hours they played straight through without interruptions. It was amazing. Their sets gave entertaining graphics during the instrumental songs and they just hammered out one great performance after another. I've been a fan of the group since Pretty Hate Machine's "Head like a Hole" but never saw them live. Now I would recommend them to anyone. Okay maybe not my mom but my mom is pretty cool. I got listened to the Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson so much in high school that she could sing with the "Ahhh!" parts of the song.

Other highlights included...

*Overall Guy. He donned the overalls shirtless and with only one strap latched.
*Getting nosebleed tickets but then getting moved right next to the stage (due to the lack of ticket sales... stupid Ticketmaster).
*Dancing Dad sitting in front of us with his teenage sons while wearing his 90s shorts and I almost expected a fanny pack.
*Not being the the mosh pit with hairy, sweaty, shirtless dude.
*Trent Reznor - he's just so AWESOME!!! (And definitely better than Serj Tankian from System of a Down)

If you haven't had the pleasure of watching NIN live, below is a great clip from MTV of their VMA performance of "The Fragile."

NIN - "The Fragile"

5 comments:

Alienfloyd said...

Incredible show, I was thrilled they played Wish and I think Broken. The only two songs I wanted to hear were Sin and Ringfinger. I loved the instrumentals, I believes they were from the Ghosts. It was a grand time.

Tooele Brezoff said...

I LOVED IT!!! & I wanna go again right now!!!

Tooele Brezoff said...

I forgot to ask super duper nice with sugar on it...... may I please get your email address? and can you toss Jenn's in too? Thanks your a doll!

Ps: Dont forget about the large marge wearing the white tank/shirt/shrink wrap thing we saw leaving the concert she was a gem!

BrittneyandDoug said...

Hahaha, I love to read your concert reviews! That is so cool that you got your seats moved up!

Jen-Knee said...

It for sure was a good time. I was shocked at how much I like it, but then again I have been concert deprived for a few months. Bring on the Big Ass show.

Anyway, thanks for "making" me go. :)