20 August 2008

Why Choose Sci-Fi

During the summer my television watching has changed. In fact, my television watching changed with the writer's strike. But one thing has always brought me back. It's the Sci-Fi Channel. If you do not have this wonderous channel you are missing out. And here is why:

Ghost Hunters - This show is my latest addiction. I love American folklore and this show goes in and researches potential haunted castles, hotels, homes, etc. It's interesting how the investigators go through and try to debunk the stories but they usually find some interesting EVP and other evidence. This week Ghost Hunters International went to Dracula's Castle in Transylvania, Romania.

Even if you don't believe in ghosts it's fun to see places these guys can go because it's usually places the public cannot enter. They also talk about the supernatural legens surrounding the older buildings and areas. One favorite is when the TAPS (The Atlantic Paranormal Society) group went to the Stanley Hotel, the filming location for Stephen King's "The Shining." I can't say I believe the place is haunted but it's REALLY creepy.


Reruns of some great sci-fi - Sci-fi randomly plays the older and sometimes obscure TV shows from other networks. Currently playing is the "X-Files" back with Scully was a skeptic and Mulder was the believer. Other greats are "Mystery Science Theatre 3000", etc. Sci-fi has just captured a new show. "Lost" will be joining the schedule soon for those who are obsessed with how those people are going to ever get off that island.


Sci-Fi Original Pictures - My favorite is the 10-part mini-series called "Taken." Following 5 decades, 4 generations, and 3 families Steven Spielberg brought a great story about the unexplained "alien" conspiracy beginning with the Foo Fighters in WWII. The story wasn't just about the conspiracy but the people and it was ingeniously executed using an ensemble of actors including Eric Close ("Without a Trace"), Matt Frewer ("Max Headroom"), Adam Kaufmann ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer") and, at the time, an up-and-coming young starlet named Dakota Fanning.

Another noteworthy production is the mini-series "Dune" and "Children of Dune," the latter displaying the acting chops of a young James McAvoy. The two mini-series cover the first three books written by Frank Herbert (Dune, Dune: Messiah, and Children of Dune). The books are excellent and Sci-Fi's interpretations are very well done.

I'm a big Sci-Fi geek (to my friends this should not be a shocker) and anyone else who is huge science fiction fan shouldn't dismiss this network based on the awesomely bad movies it loves to air on the weekends (e.g., "Dinocroc" and "Anaconda" ).

For more Sci-Fi fun, I've actually taken the local Ghostbusters class through granite school district's community education program. If you believe in the supernatural or your just interested in history this is a fun class. I had my own experience which was fun but not paranormal in the slightest. Three out of my 5-part column is still online for SLCC's newspaper.

Column 1 Globe Link

Column 2 Globe Link

Column 3 Globe Link

5 comments:

Tarika said...

This is a little interesting fact about you that I didn't know. Stacie your are a geek! Just kidding...Jen was shocked that you blogged about her beau...I think that she might be a little jealous. These shows sound kind of interesting, but I just get really bored when I end up watching them. I bet Seany wouldn't though...

Jen-Knee said...

While in general I'm not a Sci-Fi fan you have to admit that I have givin it a shot every now and then... even though I still need to watch 'Children of Dune' just to see James (yummy blue eyes).

And though you are a huge Sci-Fi geek I will still call you my friend.

Tooele Brezoff said...

I love Ghost hunters! the original is the best but the international one is alright the new girl has an annoying voice that drives me nuts but I love BARRY!. I always have to watch them with Bryan just incase they find something so I dont get freaked out, Bryan plays on the computer and acts like he is watching!

Alienfloyd said...

GHI is Weak sauce, Jason and Grant kick but, Battlestar Galactica is my favorite show on television.
X-files make me happy. Yes I half way pay attention to GHI, and I have seen most Reg Ghost hunters, which can be sleepers at times. I guess I am to the I want to do it not watch it phase of my ghost interests.

Tooele Brezoff said...

Bryan was telling me about a class? I want more information!!!